Jiři Řepásek started his studies at the glass School in Kamenicky Šenov. He continued his studies at the university by Professor Karl Štípl, graduated in 1952, started to work in glass factory Bohemia in Podebrady two years later. Here he became a member of design studio and began to focus on cut glass. Together with Vladimir Žahour they became a pioneers in lead crystal and new cuts.
Řepásek’s designs soon represented Czechoslovak glass works. Meanwhile lead crystal started to be pressed in Svetla and later also in Poděbrady. The crystal was bruised especially in Poděbrady, this technique was exclusively used by Řepásek and he worked with it also during his University years. The beginning was not easy, he had to fully concentrate fully on the lead crystal, too. He was attracted with new artistic interpretations, which lead crystal offered. His designs were based on assumption, which molded lead crustal looks visually the same as hand cut crystal.
Some of his designs were so complex, that they were financially inconvenient for mass production. He created an effective form for the designs, which were realized. He reached his goal – his designs of pressed leas crystal look very elegant. Řepásek was acclaimed for his lead press in domestic competitions. In 1976 his designs were awarded for the best product of the year. In spite of everything he remained faithful to the brushed glass and he won gold medal for brushed plate on second international glass and ceramics exhibition in Jablonec nad Nisou in 1976.
He made a significant number of designs for Bohemia glassworks. The number is not as important as the level of designs, which brought the Czech glass to new era. Jiří Řepásek worked in Bohemia glassworks for 30 years.